Monday, February 14, 2011

Logistics...

One of the biggest issues with having a float tank is where to put it. When getting out of a tank after a float, you are covered with a very highly concentrated salt water, which has a way of spreading onto the floor and just about anything you touch, drying into a white, crunchy, salt film. This washes off quite easily in a shower, but getting there can be an issue. My last tank was in a room right next to the bathroom, but it was still a messy affair and even when I wasn't using the tank (the salt seemed to crystallize and find its way onto the hardwood floor. There are only two places that I would recommend keeping a float tank in your home. The ideal place would be an out of the way basement with cement floor, that has a bathroom with a shower. If it is an oversized bathroom and had enough room for a tank, that would be the ultimate. Most of us, however, aren't that lucky.
This time around, I am going to put it in the garage. Like a pool table, I think that this is the best place to keep a tank if you live in an area that is not too cold (or you have a heated garage). The big disadvantage of the garage is a lack of a shower. However, leading from my hot water tank into the house are lines for hot water. Coneniently, there is an attachment (generally used for outdoor sinks) for both hot and cold water. I plan to attach these with an adapter to a couple of common garden hoses and attach the hoses to a portable shower head. This will be kept over a small basin, so that a person can get out of the tank, step into the basin and wash themselves off with warm water. The basin can then be dumped and ready for another use. I admit that this is a bit cumbersome and "rustic," but it's really the only way for me to keep a tank and use it regularly.
I'll work out the details of where to set up the tank and "shower", when I've had a chance to look at the tank. I traded e-mails with John today and he informs me that the tank is "round or elliptical", which is a little surprising, since both major manufacturers, Samadhi and Oasis, are rectangular. It sounds like this might be more of a "clamshell" type of unit that is no longer made. Looking at old pictures on the internet, these appear to be high quality, fiberglass units, so I really can't wait to get a look at this tank!

No comments:

Post a Comment